If there was ever a right time to start a skincare routine, it would be winter as the weather can have a brutal and drying effect on the skin. No one wants to finish the winter months with battered skin and I certainly don’t want that look on myself or my hubby. As much as skincare comes naturally to me because I truly believe in taking care of the skin you have, I know that it doesn’t come easily to others.
When I think about skincare for guys, the focus should be on simple effective products with minimal fuss. If it’s your first foray into skincare, simple certainly does the trick. Once you’re settled into the routine of taking care of your skin every day (in the morning and before bedtime), you can then start adding more products and layers to your routine. I believe that the skincare essentials should include a face wash (or bar), a moisturiser with SPF, an eye gel or cream, lip balm and hand cream. If you’d like to take it one step further, how about incorporating a face scrub that also doubles up as a face mask? You can also add a night cream and a face oil.
Without further ado, here’s a breakdown of the things you’ll need and some examples to make the shopping experience easy
- A facial cleanser like this one from Nivea. If you’ve got any skin concerns like acne and shaving bumps, you’ll want to opt for something with a chemical exfoliant (like salicylic acid) or a gentle rice exfoliator like this one from Dermalogica.
- A moisturiser with a minimum of SPF15 (check this out) that is also safe to use after shaving. If you’d like to take it further, you can actually look for a moisturiser with some added benefits such as anti-ageing properties and antioxidants
- Hand cream because everyone’s hands take a beating from the weather and just everyday life as it is
- Lipbalm because dry lips are never appealing
- A good face scrub to use once a week to keep your skin smooth and give you a closer shave. Kiehls has a great range for men and this scrub is my favourite
- Eye gel if you’re prone to dark circles. I prefer roll-on eye gels as they are less messy and have a cooling effect. Here’s a wallet-friendly option from L’Oreal and a fancier option from Clinique